The Furhouse or Bull Manor (also known as Berkyn Manor House or Highland Manor) is located off of Stanwell Road, just after Foundry Lane, in Horton, Slough Berkshire, Windsor and Maidenhead, England.
This lovely home has now decayed to dangerous measures and trespassing here can result in getting arrested. Though, this place has a long history and certainly deserves a time to shine before it falls in on itself, as it might have already gone seriously past repair. Residing now on 60+ acre farm owned by J Rayner & Sons Limited but with a rich history that includes housing the author of ‘Paradise Lost’ John Milton. It gained the nick name Bull Manor and Highland Manor from the guardian Highland Bull that waits outside for passers-by. The 3rd floor is now only accessible by ladder and some of the roof and other parts of the floors have collapsed. It is a remarkable building with some lovely interior bits, with a wish that the Rayner family had decided to use the house instead of let it fall in such bad shape these past 26 years.
Here it is, the history of The Berkyn Manor as taken from this Facebook Page :
“• 1458 John Berkyn died
• 1560 Nov 24th Will of Thomas Bulstrode left a (Berkyn) Manor to 2nd son Thomas
• 1588 Rayners had bought Colnbrook Farm during the reign of Elizabeth I and that they had previously owned a farm down the lane.
• 1626 34 people die of plague in Horton
• 1632-1638 John Milton lived with his father John & brother Christopher in Horton (future Berkyn Manor) house rented from Earl of BridgeWater , Sir John Egerton
• 1637 Apr 03 Milton’s Mother Sara wife of John is buried in St Michaels
• 1640? Milton family home broken up after his 2 year trip to Continent, but Milton returned to Horton several times after trip (where he met Gallileo)
• 1647 John Milton’s father dies
• 1659 William Rayner born (First Certain Ancestor)
• 1665 John Milton moves to Chalfont St Giles
• 1840 Mr. Thomas Woodward Resident of Berkyn Manor before the Cooke Family dies in his 90’s
• 1848 Edward Tyrrell buys Berkyn Manor from the trustees of Mr. John Cooke
• 1848 Edward (Remembrancer of the City of London) & Frances Tyrrell move to Berkyn Manor from Tunbridge Wells
• 1848 Edward Tyrrell born 1791/2 from 1851 Census (age 59 in census), Esq., rebuilds Berkyn Manor , Frances (nee Lingham) Tyrrell age 49 in 1851 census (12 servants) Avery is 7 in 1848
• 1870 Captain Avery Tyrrell (Master of the Worshipful Company of Upholders)
• 1872 Nov 21 Avery Tyrrell married Annetta Chartry de la Fosse Toker
• 1879 Jan 17 Annetta Chatry de la Fosse, first wife of Avery Tyrrell dies age 38 (cross in St Michaels)
• 1880 St Michaels church organ of 1880 cost £305. The pointed tops to the pipes and the stencilled decoration are unusual; they were made at the insistance of Avery Tyrrel of Berkyn Manor who defrayed the cost
• 1881 05 Jun Edward Tyrrell dies his son Avery (Widower) inherits
• 1881 Date on rear of Berkyn Manor
• 1884 Dairy at Berkyn Manor built marked in bricks AV1884 Avery Tyrrell
• 1885 Jul 14 Avery Tyrrell marries Sarah Edith Davids at Paddington
• 1886 Stables at Berkyn Manor built Avery Tyrrell (boar’s head with peacock feathers coat of arms)
• 1909 Apr 28 Last Tyrrell Dies (Avery Tyrrell) in Berkyn Manor Left £73,331.3s.2d
• 1944 Sarah Edith Tyrrell widow of Avery Tyrrell dies Virginia Waters
• 1945 Apr — Rayners buy Berkyn Manor from Shore family
• 1945 Ernest Rayner moves into Berkyn Manor as farmer
• 1987 Nov 11 Ernest Rayner (former County Councillor) last resident of Berkyn Manor Died age 96”
As of 2013 the house remains in its decaying state. It is also possibly haunted.
Where is the abandoned Berkyn Bull Manor located? This interesting place can be found with these coordinates. 51.473298,-0.535.
Images 1 and 2 used under Creative Commons License Attribution 2.0 Generic, images were under this license January 10th, 2014. Images 1 and 2 by Andy Bagley [Flickr/24402504@N05].